Slow Cooker Corned Beef Cabbage Dinner ~ An easy to prepare and tasty dish to eat that will definitely become a family favourite anytime of the year!
This is a perfect traditional dinner for the month of March. It is the month we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and Corned Beef And Cabbage is a traditional Irish dinner.
This is also a perfect one-pot dinner for when you are busy because it is super easy and quick to prepare. Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and let it do the cooking for the day. When you come home at the end of a busy day your house will smell delicious with the fragrances and flavours of a slow cooker corned beef cabbage dinner that is cooked and ready to serve.
Do you know what corned beef is? It is beef that has been pickled in brine. Hundreds of years ago people would brine their beef as a way to preserve it since refrigerating and freezing foods was not an option. The term ‘corned’ refers to the grains of coarse corns or grains of salt that was used in the brining process.
Even though it was a popular method of preserving beef hundreds of years ago it is still a popular food today. It is easy to purchase sliced or shaved corned beef for tasty corned beef and mustard on rye bread sandwiches. But I have to admit I find it difficult finding a corned beef brisket in the meat department at the grocery store. If they do carry it, it is a very small piece that has already been pickled and is very pricey. Fortunately my favourite butcher in the city sells the real corned beef brisket perfect for this recipe that has been brined and lightly seasoned.
I like to make this dinner as a special treat around St. Patrick’s Day. Nobody in my family is Irish as I am Dutch and my husband’s family is Welsh and Scottish. But serving a slow cooker corned beef cabbage dinner is a fun way to celebrate the Irish culture and to enjoy a tasty dinner.
This is a fabulous easy to make tasty recipe but I needed to make a modification. Instead of just adding the mixed pickling spice to the vegetables and meat I recommend first putting them in a spice bag or inside a cheesecloth secured with string. This little tip contains the mixed pickling spices but still adds a great flavour to the slow cooker corned beef cabbage dinner.
Here is my easy to prepare and tasty to eat recipe for…
Slow Cooker Corned Beef Cabbage Dinner
- 8 red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 4 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ head green cabbage, cut into large slices
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Place corned beef brisket on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with the minced garlic.
- Secure the mixed pickling spice in a spice bag or in a cheesecloth tied with string. Place this on top of the corned beef brisket.
- Pour about 8 cups of water so it just covers the corned beef.
- Cook for 7 hours on LOW. Do not remove the lid during this cooking time. Add cabbage and cook for another one or two hours on HIGH.
- Remove the spice bag and discard. Remove the corned beef brisket and slice thinly across the grain. Use a large slotted spoon to scoop up the vegetables. Drizzle meat and vegetables with a bit of the cooking juice before serving.
Final Comments: Even though my family and I do not have one single bone of Irish I always had fun cooking special dishes in recognition of St. Patrick’s Day when my daughters were young. I had fun making an all green school lunch for them and an all green dinner on March 17th. They still talk about the interesting green foods they were served including green milk. For more ideas some of the fun I invite you to check out…
Your Turn: What are your favourite Irish dishes and traditions? Do you happen to be Irish or have a bit of Irish in you?
Thanks so much for stopping by!