Fluffy Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes ~ Pancakes made with whole-wheat flour and buttermilk. Add your favourite toppings to make a very tasty breakfast!
I love pancakes for several reasons. They are easy to make and easy on the budget. There are so many different kinds of pancakes but this version is one of my favourites because it is loaded with healthy ingredients including whole-wheat flour for extra fibre and an egg and buttermilk for some dairy and protein added value.
I have made these pancakes many times and they always turn out. I have even substituted the whole-wheat flour for spelt flour and they are just as tasty. The texture is a bit different but it makes for an equally yummy eating experience!
You can also ‘doctor’ these fluffy whole-wheat buttermilk pancakes up by adding your favourite toppings. Start with a splash of maple syrup, add some plain Greek yogurt and finish it off with some fresh or frozen blueberries. It is like eating a pancake sundae!
Double the recipe and make extras! They are very tasty when popped into the toaster. Spread these fluffy whole-wheat buttermilk pancakes with some peanut butter and your favourite jam and you have another quick breakfast or a tasty snack.
Here is how to make…
Fluffy Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1-1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- In a bowl mix together whole-wheat flour. Brown sugar baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together milk, egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth with a few small lumps.
- Heat skillet or griddle with medium heat. If it is not a non-stick pan you will have to brush with oil.
- For each pancake pour ¼ cup batter into the skillet/griddle. When bubbles show up on the top (after about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes) flip over and cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until second side is golden brown.
Final Comments: Here is another pancake recipe you might enjoy Apple Oat Bran Pancakes. This recipe is also a healthy tasty version. My favourite toppings include applesauce, Greek yogurt, a few crushed walnuts and a dusting of cinnamon!
Your turn: First of all thank you so much for stopping by ‘Time With Thea’! Your visit is really appreciated. What is your favourite kind of pancake? What are your favourite pancake toppings?
Other Awesome Pancake Recipes: The talented blogger behind ‘A Pretty Life’ has shared loads of fabulous pancake recipes. You might want to check out 12 Scrumptious Pancake Recipes and select and save your favourites!