Easy Way To Write Sincere Eloquent Thank You Notes ~ Make writing thank you notes fun and super easy using a writing pattern and sentence starter ideas!
Writing and giving a thank you note after receiving a gift is a really nice thing to do. It is a kind gesture to show your appreciation for both the thought that went behind the gift and the gift itself. My lovely mother-n-law was what I call the ‘queen of thank you notes’. For the 35 plus years that I have known her she always sent a beautifully written note shortly after receiving a Christmas, birthday or Mother’s Day gift. She also always wrote a thank you note on behalf of herself and my father-n-law shortly after staying with us for a few or several days. I looked forward and still do to receiving her sincere notes in the mail.
I also look forward to receiving both greeting cards and thank you cards from my brother’s wife. They are not really fancy or too long but express a lovely and eloquent message. Gosh they are nice to receive.
I know writing thank you messages isn’t easy for everyone but I think it is still something that we should make a point of doing. I have written a lot of thank you notes over the years for a very special reason. I was fortunate to be showered with many wonderful teacher appreciation gifts during my teacher career. I consistently wrote a thank you note to each student for each gift at Christmas time, school year end and for any other gifts that I received throughout the school year. That was a lot of thank you notes!
After writing so many over so many years I learned a lot about how to write thank you notes efficiently but still written in a way that was sincere and eloquent. The way to do it is to create your message using a writing pattern or structure for thank you notes. There are a lot of different forms of writing that are written with a specific pattern or structure. For example, newspaper articles, position papers, short stories and even recipes and obituaries are written using a specific structure that the writer has to follow. Thank you notes are what I call ‘mini-writes’ and also follow a specific writing pattern. As long as you use the pattern as your guide the task becomes a lot easier!
There are a number of rules for how to write a thank you note. I am not sure who made these rules up. I like to refer to them as guidelines that there should be certain things that need to be included in the thank you message. I came up with my own easy way to write eloquent sincere thank you notes and I am sharing with you today.
Easy Way to Write Sincere Eloquent Thank You Notes
The pattern I use when writing thank you notes consists of four sentences:
Sentence #1: HOOK
This is the introductory or what I call the hook sentence. It is a short sentence usually made up of four to seven words and ends in an exclamation point. It tells the reader right away your sense of appreciation and gratitude in a sincere and enthusiastic manner.
Examples of the HOOK sentence….
- What a lovely gift! (special, wonderful)
- Your gift is so thoughtful! (appreciated, considerate)
- How did you know?
- This is the perfect gift!
- I am so thrilled with your gift! (excited, elated)
- What a special gift to receive!
- So appreciate your gift!
- I love the gift!
- What a surprise!
Sentence #2: THANK YOU & DESCRIBING
This sentence tells the reader what you are thanking them for by stating what it is and describing it with some specific details. This sentence specifically identifies for example the gift, favour, dinner, gesture or a visit. It is a bit of a longer sentence.
Examples of the THANK YOU & DESCRIBING sentence…
- Thank you so much for the homemade purple and gray patterned infinity scarf.
- I really want to thank you for the lovely gift basket of different kinds of herbal teas.
- Thank you for the beautiful long silver chain necklace and blue oval shaped pendant.
- I really appreciate receiving a brand new black Kitchen Aid Blender.
- I can’t thank you enough for the gift card for $50.00 to go shopping at Southside Mall.
Sentence #3: PERSONAL CONNECTION
This sentence tells the reader a personal connection that you have with what you are saying thank you for. It is this sentence that creates the sincerity in the message.
Examples of the PERSONAL CONNECTION sentence…
- I admire your sewing talents and the scarf will go perfectly with my long winter coat.
- I love to relax at night with a cup of herbal tea and now I have a big assortment to choose from.
- I know you put a lot of thought into selecting this gorgeous necklace and I will think of you every time I put it on.
- I use a kitchen blender almost daily to make smoothies and my previous one was no longer working so this is perfect timing.
- Your gift card is so generous and I have an eye on a couple of new books I want to buy at the bookstore.
Sentence #4: CLINCHER
This is what I call the ‘clincher’ sentence. It is a final short sentence that is also made up three to seven words. It ties the thank you note message together and ends with an exclamation point. You will notice that some of the clinchers are similar to the hook sentences. If I used one as a hook then I do not use it again as a clincher.
Examples of the CLINCHER sentence…
- Thank you again!
- I so appreciate your generosity!
- It is such a lovely gift!
- Thank you for your thoughtfulness!
- I really appreciate your kindness!
- It was a really special gift to receive!
- The gift is perfect!
- I am thrilled with the gift!
- I love it!
- I look forward to using it!
- Looking forward to wearing it!
Final Comments: This is my easy way to write sincere eloquent thank you notes! It really is my go-to thank you note-writing pattern. It really helps make the task more efficient and fun to do!
Your Turn: First of all thank you to my followers and visitors. I really appreciate your support and interest! What is your system for writing thank you notes? What kind of notecards do you like to use? Be sure to enter in the giveaway…
Give Away Time!
I like to keep a variety of thank you cards handy for writing thank you notes. I personally think that they can be store bought or homemade. There are so many pretty ones to buy and so many pretty ones to make. My friend Andrea from Personally Andrea is a blogger who has a simply stunning blog. She is a talented and skilled photographer. Andrea has just opened up an ETSY Shop where she is selling handmade notecards featuring some of her best photographs. I have one package of these gorgeous cards to give away. There are six cards and envelopes in each package and the retail value is $20.00. The set features an original photograph titled ‘magnolia’, has simply the word ‘hello’ on the outside and it is blank inside for you to write a note for any occasion. The giveaway also includes shipping and handling. Christmas is coming soon so I thought this would be the perfect time for this give-away! It will make a great gift or you can use them to write your own thank you notes.
The winner will be notified by email. Good luck and thanks for entering this fun little giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway