Strawberry Jam Muffins ~ An easy to prepare tasty treat baked with oat bran increasing the fibre content and strawberry jam increasing the flavour factor!
I love baking muffins because they are so easy to quickly whip up. They are a tasty baked treat to keep in the freezer. They transport really well so they are great to pack in a school lunch.
This recipe could also be called Surprise Muffins. When you cut a muffin in half you see and will taste a morsel of strawberry jam. I don’t know about you but when I eat my favourite foods I like to eat them for the taste and the texture. These Strawberry Jam Muffins are not fluffy like a cupcake but have a denser texture that comes from the added oat bran. I love that kind of texture. So the other surprise is they come with the added bonus of a healthier ingredient increasing the fibre content.
I recently baked several batches of these strawberry jam muffins to give away as gifts and to enjoy at home. I made a couple of batches using my Less Sugar Homemade Strawberry Jam and a couple of batches with strawberry jam I bought at the grocery store. It is really interesting how the different jams created different effects in the muffins. The homemade jam tended to blend into the muffin giving a red swirl appearance and the store bought jam didn’t blend in at all giving it a dollop in the center appearance. But both are equally as tasty.
Whenever I bake muffins I always think about the cooking classes I took when I was in high school. Do you remember learning how to cook basic cooking technique recipes like the muffin method? This recipe follows that method when mixing all of the ingredients together. Another thing I remember learning is not to over mix the batter. I use a spatula to stir the wet and dry contents together just until they are mixed. That is it.
Things change a bit when you scoop the prepared muffin mixture into the paper liners. I recommend lining your baking muffin tins with paper liners. There are so many pretty different kinds available now that are quite inexpensive. The paper liners help to make the clean up a bit easier.
Here is the recipe for…
Strawberry Jam Muffins
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup oat bran
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup strawberry jam (about)
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C)
- In a large bowl combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, butter and buttermilk.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir just until moist and blended.
- Line the muffin baking pan with cupcake liners.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of batter into the bottom of the cupcake liner using a dinner spoon from your cutlery set.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of strawberry jam into the center of the bottom layer of batter using a dessert from your cutlery set.
- Spoon a final layer of batter with another tablespoon of batter using the dinner spoon from your cutlery set. Gently spread the batter evenly over the top with the spoon so it covers the dollop of strawberry jam.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Apparently I seem to be focused on a strawberry theme right now. Here is the link to the less sugar strawberry jam I mentioned earlier…
I also prepared and shared these fun homemade jam jar printable labels to go with the homemade jam….
Thank you so much for stopping by. I quite enjoy my conversations with my readers on ‘Time With Thea’
Till next time,