Cranberry Pear Relish Recipe ~ Here is a very simple and very tasty gift to make for Christmas special from your kitchen. I made a big batch of this cranberry pear relish to give as gifts and to keep some to serve with the Christmas dinner turkey this year.
I also have joined up with a group of talented bloggers from across Canada who are sharing their fabulous ideas for handmade Christmas gifts. We are calling it the Canadian Handmade Event and all you have to do is follow the hashtag #CDNHandmadeHoliday for loads of inspiration!
Is cranberry relish or sauce a traditional complement at your Christmas dinner table? I like to make my own because it’s a lot tastier than the store bought canned version and this cranberry pear relish recipe is super easy to put together. It’s also a make ahead that you can check off your list well before the big day. This is a recipe that is yummier the next day once the different flavours have had a chance to blend.
Cranberries can be quite tart but this recipe is also made with pears that add a nice flavour and texture. It also has a nice hint of Christmas spices and just the right amount of sweetness. Your house will smell very ‘Christmassy’ when you prepare this recipe.
I have given you the ingredients and proportions for one batch, which makes about two cups of relish. When I made it, I actually quadrupled (four batches) at one time which was super easy to do. Then I poured the relish into canning jars and processed them in my canner for ten minutes.
The extra jars of this cranberry pear relish recipe make wonderful Christmas or hostess gifts! h
Cranberry Pear Relish Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups cubed peeled ripe pears (about three medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks broken into thirds
- 5 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- Insert cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and whole spice in a spice bag. Tie securely. You can also tie the whole spices in a cheese cloth secured with a string if you can’t find spice bags.
- In a saucepan combine pears, water, cranberries, spice bag. Bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 10-12 minutes or until cranberries have popped and relish is slightly thickened, stirring several times.
- Remove spice bag.
- Mash relish if necessary. Let cool and either refrigerate or spoon into small canning jars to can.