Easter Cookie Decorating Ideas ~ My daughter Brittany has been busy in the kitchen baking Sugar Cookies for Easter! She baked and decorated five dozen cookies in the shapes of ducks, flowers, butterflies, bunnies with a tail and of course Easter eggs. That’s a lot of cookies!
I love to collect different kinds of cookie cutters. These ones so fit the Spring and Easter theme. We have an egg shape, butterfly, flower, duck and a bunny that came with a separate tail. They are all so cute!
Brittany got everything done in one day. She started with making the dough and cutting out and baking the cookies. Then she made up a big batch of icing which I provided the recipe for you to make too. It’s fairly thick but easy to spread on baked cookies. Then she separated the big batch into smaller portions and used food colouring to make five different colours in five different containers! She made pink, blue, green, yellow and purple icing all in pretty Easter hues.
I’m so excited about the gorgeous sparkling sugars you can buy now for decorating your baking. They even have names like Ultra Violet, Star Gold, Pink Pastel, Green Pastel, Vibrant Pink and my favourite Electric Blue. They are perfect Easter colours!
Now with five dozen cookies, five different coloured containers of icing and six different sparkling sugar colours, Brittany had a lot of choices to create sixty unique beautifully decorated Easter cookies.
Here are Brittany’s Easter cookie decorating ideas….
~Have a collection of Easter and Spring themed cookie cutters.
~Make several different colours of icing from one batch of prepared icing.
~Have a collection of different coloured sparkling sugars.
~First spread the icing on with a knife. Then sprinkle the sparkling sugar over top of the icing. Shake the sparkling sugar that didn’t adhere to the icing onto a dinner plate.
~Shake the extra sparkling sugars off of each cookie into different containers to make different variegated coloured combinations.
~These are the different combinations she made…
- Spread one colour of icing on a cookie and sprinkle with the same colour of sparkling sugar.
- Spread one colour of icing on a cookie and sprinkle with a different colour of sparkling sugar.
- Spread one colour of icing on a cookie and sprinkle with a variegated combination of sparkling sugar.
- Spread two or more different colours of icing on the cookie and sprinkle with one colour of sugar.
- Spread two or more different colours of icing on the cookie and sprinkle with two or more different colours of sparkling sugar.
- Spread two or more different colours of icing on the cookie and sprinkle with one colour of sparkling sugar.
That’s how she was able to make each of the sixty different cookies unique and different!
What did we do with all of these cookies? Brittany gave most of them away to friends and took a big batch to work to share with her co-workers. She has been attending university, studying philosophy but took some time off from her studies and plans to return for the Fall term. I’m loving having her at home not only for the company but also for her amazing baking talents!
What I love about these Easter Cookie Decorating Ideas is that they are all doable for anyone to have fun with. They don’t look like they were done by a professional but they still are gorgeous. They are unique, creative, fun and super tasty to eat. That’s my kind of a decorated Easter cookie!
Here are some close-up ideas for you to use for inspiration!
If you enjoyed this baking inspiration for Easter you might also enjoy the Angel Food Bunny Cake With Buttercream Frosting we make every year.
- 4 cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- food colouring
- In a Mixmaster or mixing bowl beat sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until creamy.
- Separate icing into 5 different containers, one for each colour of icing.
- Make different pink, yellow, blue, green and purple icing.
- Apply icing onto cookies with a knife.