Tamale Pie Casserole ~ I have been making this tasty easy to make Tamale Pie Casserole for years and it’s still a family favourite.
This Tamale Pie Casserole is a tasty and colourful with the combination of the red tomatoes, black beans and yellow corn topped off with the yellow cornmeal and orange cheese. I like it too because it covers several food groups including your protein, veggies and a carbohydrate. Just serve it with some raw veggies or a nice salad to complete the meal.
It is a bit fussy to make because you have to first prepare and cook the base and then make the cornmeal topping and then bake it in the oven. But it’s worth the effort because this makes a large casserole so there will be enough for another meal the next day. It also freezes well so you can enjoy at a later date.
If you had a chance to read my post about Menu Planning Using Themes this Tamale Pie Casserole is one of the dishes I liked to make on a Saturday. I always made enough for the family so we could also enjoy it on the following Monday after a busy work and school day. All I did was heat it up in the microwave for a quick and easy during the week dinner. It was just as tasty as a repeat dinner!
Tamale Pie Casserole
- For The Base:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz can, chopped tomatoes
- 19 oz can, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- For The Cornmeal Topping:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup melted butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180°C)
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain off excess liquid. Set aside.
- In same skillet cook onions and garlic till translucent. Stir in tomatoes, black bean, corn and spices. Cover and simmer for ten minutes.
- While base is cooking, prepare cornmeal topping.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl combine milk, egg and butter. Stir this mixture into the flour mixture. Mix until well moistened.
- Spread meat base in shallow 9” by 13” baking dish.
- Spread cornmeal topping over meat mixture till meat is covered. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until top is set when lightly touched.
Your turn: What are your favourite casserole dishes? Are you a fan of Mexican dishes like I am?