How to Move Your Pins on Pinterest

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest ~

Pinterest has finally done it! They have made it easy for you to move one or multiple pins at the same time to a different board. You can even copy a single pin or multiple pins onto a board at the same time too! What a great timesaver for organizing your pins.

HOw To Move Your Pins On Pinterest - Time With Thea

I don’t know about you but I find my Pinterest Boards are a perpetual work in progress. Not only am I adding new pins and building my Pinterest collection but I am also revising and changing around the pins that I have collected and the boards that I have created. For example, I have a board that I created and named “Time For Home: DIY Projects. It has over 250 pins and it is a mish-mash collection of all kinds of DIY projects that I might like to do for the home. Many of the pins have to do with painting furniture so I created a new board labelled “Time For DIY Projects: Furniture Painting”. This new method for how to move your pins on Pinterest makes it so easy and so quick to do!

Before I get into the tutorial I want to explain that this post has been my most popular. Let’s just say it has been significantly the most popular. So I have done a rewrite on this post to keep up with this fabulous update that Pinterest has made. I find it interesting that Pinterest makes these changes but doesn’t really make any announcements to let their users know what is going on.

So here are the step by step instructions for the new and much improved way to move your pins on Pinterest!

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest Updated

Step 1: Choose your board that has the pin or multiple pins you want to move.

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 1

Step 2: Click on the rectangle titled ‘Move Pins’ located in the upper right corner of your board.

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 2

Step 3: Click on the red rectangle ‘Move’.

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 3

Step 4: Boxes with a white checkmark will show up in the upper right corner for each pin. Click on the boxes of the pins you want to move. They will turn red.

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 4

Step 5: Choose the new board you want to move the pins to.

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 5

Step 6: Click on the red rectangle labelled ‘Move’.

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 6

Step 7: Your pins have now been moved to your new board!

How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest : Step 7

That’s it! Super easy and super quick! Enjoy organizing your pins!

Here are some other posts that I have written that will help you use Pinterest smartly and effectively!

How To Organize Your Boards On Pinterest

How To Rename Your Pinterest Boards On Your iPad

My Reasons For Checking Every Pin Before Pinning

In the meantime, hope to see you on Pinterest!

You can find me here: Time With Thea on Pinterest

This article has been the most popular all time and for 2014! Here is a collection of the Best How Tos And Tips From Time With Thea 2014! Just click the image for more great organizing tips…

Best How Tos And Tips From Time With Thea 2014 ~ Time With Thea

Thanks for stopping by,

Thea

Discover More...

Comments

• Time With Thea says

Thanks Kenley. The idea for the post came from a reader comment which was very helpful. ~Thea

1. says

Thank you for all this information Thea! I have to admit; I rarely use Pinterest (I know I should use it more! 😉 ) but this post made me realize ; I need to take a look at all my boards and make sure I’ve pinned the pictures in the correct boards! Thank you, it’s only after you read informative posts like this one, you realize how much work needs to be done! :-) Have a great day Thea!

• Time With Thea says

Hi Ingrid! There are so many social media choices now that I feel one can’t do it all. I go on it about twice a week and I often pin something after I have read a blog. I have pinned quite a few of your images for several of your posts. Your pink peg board was re-pinned many times! I find I have to keep my Pinterest boards really organized otherwise, it becomes too overwhelming. Thanks for stopping by! Thea

• Time With Thea says

Every so often I like to write a how-to article about how to use PInterest because it is something I really enjoy and I hope it helps others. ~Thea

2. says

It’s so funny, I just started a Pinterest post yesterday and put it in my drafts folder. I was going to reference your original Pinterest post, but I guess I’ll have to reference both of your Pinterest posts now! These are great tips and will help lots of people! Thank you!
    ~Erin

• Time With Thea says

That is so funny Erin. I am looking forward to your post about Pinterest! I am writing another one tonight and so I will refer to yours so that it helps the readers as well. Thanks for creating the link to my articles! ~Thea

3. says

Thanks so much! I decided to make a renewed effort at sharing some pins on Pinterest, and I had no idea how to move pins between boards. I found your post via Google search. Very helpful! :)

• says

Hi Many! I am so glad you found the information helpful. It does seem to be a very popular hit on Google so a lot of pinners must be wondering the same thing. I think it is important to review and reorganize your pins once in awhile and Pinterest has made it very doable. Thanks for your feedback! ~Thea

4. crafty grandma says

Hi, I reorganized my titles via the Edit button as you did. I went a step further so it would be easier to find by using a keyword ie instead of Desserts (would end up under D) – I put Recipes – Desserts, Recipes – Cakes, Recipes – Meat etc. This way all the Recipes are together and less chance of repetition.

5. Karen says

Question: I have a food recipe board that I need to divide into sub-categories. However, I am afraid that if I do this, people who previously re-pinned my pins will not be able to see the pin once it is moved. Is that the case? I have searched online and cannot find the answer to my question. Any advice would be appreciated.

• says

Hi Karen! You ask a really good question and it is so nice that you are concerned. I hope I understood your question correctly. I ran a test by moving some of my pins around into different categories. I picked pins that were only repinned once to make it easy. Then what I did was clicked on the pinner who pinned the pin and found it was still on their board. I tested this three times with three different pins. So from what I can tell if you move a pin onto a different board it does not affect anyone who repinned it. Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by~Thea

6. says

Hi Lorraine, I like your organizing mind! From what I can tell at this time with Pinterest you can’t move the pins around within a board. They are ordered by when you pin them. I think this isn’t possible because each pin is linked to a website so it is important to keep the link live. I see your point about not wanting to create new boards for each vegetable. So what is a practical alternative? What I did was create a key word heading in all uppercase letters in the description. Now when I scroll down looking for example carrot recipes, my eyes are drawn to the first word. You can also repin some of your ‘go to’ favourites so they are at the front of your board. Pinterest is perpetually making changes and improvements. It will be interesting if this is something that they will be able to adjust so the pins in our boards can be better organized. Unfortunately, this doesn’t solve your question but hopefully, my suggestion helps a bit. Thanks so much for stopping by! ~Thea

7. says

I think there is an advantage and disadvantage to both approaches.

The advantage to repinning, as you mentioned, is it’s like a new pin that will show up in your followers’ feeds and may garner new attention. The disadvantage is that the number of likes and repins are reset to zero since it is essentially a new pin. So, you lose the history of how well the pin performed on the old board (if you care about that). If you simply move the pin using the edit feature, the like/repin stats appear to move with it, so you maintain the history of how well one pin did compared to another.

• says

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing some very valid points. There are a lot of pins with significant rich history that want to be retained and a lot of pins with no history that wouldn’t be affected by a delete and repin. I’ll add this into the post so readers can make a more informed choice with reference to your valuable comment. Thanks again!

8. Linda SAndeman says

Hi Thea

Thank you for this post it has been really helpful. I wonder if you could help me with a query relating to this? I have one board ‘Jewellery’ where I pin any inspirational jewellery ideas. I would rather have boards that where more specific, ie ‘Rings’, ‘Earrings’, ‘Bangles’ etc. My concern is, if I were to move the pins to these boards and delete the ‘Jewellery’ board’, those that were following ‘Jewellery’ would no longer see new pins from me in their home feed and I would lose them as followers as the board was no longer there. Do you know if this would be the case? Many thanks.

• says

First of all, thanks for the positive feedback about this post and I am so pleased you found it to be really helpful. I like your idea about wanting to make more specific boards. I have that and I find it a lot easier to find pins I am looking for. I wrote a blog about how to organize your boards where I talk about creating specific boards that you might find helpful too. I’m not sure but if you were to delete your jewelry board, the pinners who were following that board would not be able to follow it. My thinking is you would lose followers who just follow this one board and not your other boards. But if you have followers who follow all of your boards, I don’t see why you would lose them. My suggestion if you are worried about losing followers is to keep your jewelry board and make your new specific boards. When you pin something, pin it to your jewelry board and then pin it again to your specific boards. I do that all of the time because I often have pins that fit into different categories and I want them on more than one board. Hope that suggestion helps! ~Thea
      timewiththea recently posted…Best Way To Store Fresh GarlicMy Profile

• Linda Sandeman says

Hi Thea

Thank you for replying so quickly and answering my query. I won’t delete the ‘Jewellery’ board as you suggested; I will just pin them to other boards. Once I’ve done that, I can pin any new ones to the main ‘Jewellery’ board and to more specific boards. Thanks again for all your help. Linda:-)

• says

Thank you for asking for help! It is so nice to connect. I think your plan is perfect! What I like about Pinterest is that it is really quite flexible. Good luck! ~Thea

• says

Linda, what I’ve also found useful is simply renaming the original board (in your case, “Jewelry”) to one of your preferred newer names (in your case, “Rings”). Your followers of that board would still see jewelry pins so they wouldn’t be unsatisfied, and maybe when they notice that they’re following a board called Rings, they’ll go to your profile and follow your other jewelry boards!

• says

Thank you Sammy for this excellent suggestion. What I love about Pinterest is there are so many options and different ways to work with your boards and pins. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your great idea too!
            timewiththea recently posted…Easter Cookie Decorating IdeasMy Profile

9. says

Hi Thea, I’ve just taken the plunge and made my first Pinterest Boards. Your post was very helpful, especially as I many times pinned images without checking where I was putting them! So I frustratedly looked for just what your post is about. Thanks for rescuing me! So much easier than deleting and repinning, over and over! I’ll be more careful in future now :-p
    While it’s all fresh in my mind I’m going to do a Newbie Notes: Pinterest item on my blog, junosplace.wordpress.com, and I’ll be linking to your very well done post. Thanks again!

juno
    xx
    juno recently posted…Attar of RosesMy Profile

• says

Hi Juno! It is so nice to hear from you and I am so pleased that this post helped. I wish I had known this before I started on Pinterest but I was able to learn through trial and error. That is why I wrote the post to help others. I know I even still have some dead links throughout my boards so I am slowly going through them and cleaning them up. It does take time. Another post that I wrote that you might be interest in and is very popular is How To Move Your Pins On Pinterest. You may want to add that one to your Newbie Notes post. Thank you also for linking to my blog. I am sure your information will be helpful to pinners!
      timewiththea recently posted…Upcycled Garden Stepping StoneMy Profile

10. Dee stelly says

On a pin I’m trying to relocate there is a heart instead of a pencil. I can’t move it. What now?

Thanks for such an informative site.

Dee stelly

• says

Thanks for the feedback re the site. I am glad you find it helpful. Based on the info you have shared with me I am not sure I can answer your question. If you have pinned the pin, the pencil (edit function) in the upper right hand corner should show up when you click on the pin. I get a heart (like button) in the upper right hand corner if I am pinning a new pin. Perhaps you can send me an image via comments on this site to show me what you are seeing. Sorry I could not be more helpful.
      timewiththea recently posted…Glammed Up Plastic Storage DrawersMy Profile

11. Sue says

Hi Thea

Great article, really helpful. I’m hoping you can help me… If I have two Pinterest accounts is there a way to move whole boards or multiple pins from one account to another? I am changing my business name and don’t want all my personal pins in the new business one.

Many thanks

Sue

• says

Hi Sue, Glad you found the article helpful! You also ask a great question. I used to have two Pinterest accounts. one that was for my personal interests and one for the blog but I gave up on that because for me it got too confusing. I would see great pins on one account and wanted them on the other account and was going back and forth. I got rid of the second account and it works for me just to have the one. I strongly suspect you won’t be able to move whole boards and multiple pins between accounts but then I have never done it. Pinterest just made being able to move multiple pins doable recently. My suggestion for future pins that you want on both accounts is to visit the original source and save the url so you can pin it to both. Hope that made sense.
      timewiththea recently posted…Inexpensive DIY Mobile Device Charging StationMy Profile