At the beginning of every New Year, I spend time updating holidays, birthdays and other celebrations for the upcoming year. I update this information in my Calendar App on my iPad, iPhone and Apple desktop computer.
Celebrations like Valentine’s Day, Halloween and Christmas are easy to remember because they are on the same day of the month every year. But celebrations like Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Victoria Day here in Canada are on a specific week in the same month but the actual date is different depending on the year. I also like to know when Daylight Savings Time is and when it returns to Standard Time so I can plan ahead for this time shift. These dates also are different depending on the year.
I also like to keep track of every friends’ and family members’ birthday and have a quick, easy to use reference on my digital devices. I found an excellent app that solves all of these problems!
I purchased an app for the iPad and iPhone called Calendars & Holidays Pro for $2.99 on iTunes. The developer of this app is the same as the people behind one of my favourite reference websites timeanddate.com, which I have written about before here and here. This app provides me with all of the information I need to help me plan for the important dates for the upcoming year.
According to the website this website the app Calendars & Holidays Pro has the following features:
- I can view calendars for any month or year from 1950 to 2049. Now that’s reviewing the past and planning ahead!
- I can view holidays and celebrations for my country and other countries all over the world. This is handy information to have when planning holidays in other countries. I remember going to Disneyland, California on what I think was one of the busiest days of the year. It was the July 4th holiday so there were long lineups for all of the rides and venues because the park was so busy. Another time I went with the family for a vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Again, we ended up there during this country’s busiest holiday and vacation weeks and the resort and beaches were super busy.
- It is really easy to add all of my family members and friends’ birthdays by inputting the day, month and year they were born.
- I can also add other events such as anniversaries, personal events and milestones.
- It also tells me when and which countries switch between standard time and Daylight Savings Time.
- It even provides information about the sun and moon phases, solstices and equinoxes worldwide.
- I can import my friend’s birthdays from Facebook.
When I look for apps to help me be organized there are a few specific things that I look for:
- It has to be relatively easy to learn and easy to use. I can honestly say that Calendars & Holidays is pretty intuitive.
- Generally, I don’t like apps where I have to register and provide a password in order to use. You don’t have to do this with this app.
- When it is useful, I like apps where I can synch the inputted information from one app to another. Every birthday and other event shows up in my Calendar app on my iPhone, iPad and Apple Desktop computer. Now that is pretty intuitive!
Now, every year till 2049 I will know exactly when all kinds of celebrations, events and holidays are all around the world. I guess I could even look ahead and see what day of the week my birthday lands on for the next thirty-six years!
How do you record and plan ahead for the different holidays and celebrations in your country and your friends’ and family’s birthdays and special events?
This is my ‘go-to’ app for keeping me organized! Thanks from Thea!